Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Summer


If you love dogs, and especially Labrador Retrievers, you have probably read Marley and Me. When I read the book I couldn't help but smile at the similarities between Marley, and my yellow Lab, Summer. But Summer was never as naughty as Marley. She was an incredible dog, and I was lucky to spend 9 years with her. Summer was my running partner, a fantastic swimmer, and an expert at getting human food from the "weakest link" at the table!

In the last few chapters of Marley and Me, Marley gets sick and his family has to make the difficult decision about putting him to sleep. When I was reading the book over 2 years ago, I knew this part was coming and dreaded reading those last pages. I cried for Marley and his family, and I told Summer, who was on the bed with me that night, that she just better be around forever.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how much you love someone or how much you need them. There comes a time when you have to say "goodbye" and I am proud that I was able to do that for my faithful friend when she needed it. I miss her every day and I remember.......

No comments: