Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Dinner with Grace

If you have ever tried to sit down to dinner - or any meal - with a very active toddler you will be able to relate to what it is like to dine with Grace. She doesn't sit still for a second, although she understands when I tell her, "Grace, chairs are for sitting" and when I give her the napkin and say, "Wipe your mouth". They say you are supposed to model good table manners, to eat with your child every day, and to have conversation. We are doing all of those things although since Grace doesn't talk, the "conversation" is more of a monologue with Grace babbling. Lately, I have been hearing what sounds like parts of the words - hot, more (she is great at signing this one!), and milk. And, she definitely knows "boo-boo" because she fell earlier this week and skinned her knee. If you ask her, Grace will pull up her pant leg and show you the boo-boo.

Here is what dinner was like a couple of nights ago.... (The pictures are blurry, because, as I said, she doesn't stop for a second!).

Don't throw that!
Throwing toys is a little problem she is having at daycare. I think I might be guilty because she throws the ball to Daisy. I am sure she can't distinguish when it is okay and when it is not. Throwing food...definitely not!

I can't possibly sit in this chair.

I know if I kneel and turn around I can wiggle out of these straps.
Do you see my chicken on this cool plate?
I'm pretty good at feeding myself.

What is under this plate? Anything?
I can use my napkin to wipe my mouth, my nose, the table....
And then the latest....Grace seems to really like when I sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider". She watches carefully and has started to try to do the movements.

The Itsy Bitsy Spider goes up the water spout.
Up comes the sun and dries up all the rain.
Yeah, mom. Sing it again!
Don't be fooled...I am the princess who runs this house!

3 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Good job Grace at keeping Mommy on her toes!! My favorite is "what's under this plate". Love Nana

Unknown said...

Looks like Grace is doing a great job developing her language. Good job Mom!

Phyllis said...

Now that I have stopped laughing, I can make a comment. Grace, you are a typical toddler growing into the "terrible two's" stage. You must be so much fun to have around. I can't wait to see you.