Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ice capades

We took Grace ice stating for the first time today.  I wasn't sure how it would go, but she was very confident all morning telling us that she can balance and that she would do spins like the Disney princesses we saw last week.
The ice arena we went to is at Kent State University.  We told Grace we were going to the college to skate.  Inside the arena there were three birthday parties going on, a lot off people, and a big fireplace in the center of a sunken area with tables and benches for eating and resting.  As soon as she looked around, Grace asked, "Is this college?"  When we told her it was she said, "I like college."  Yes, my dear, most people do.
Like most things athletic, I figured Kyle would be the one to help Grace the most. But, it turns out my one or two lessons in the Poconos when I was a kid trumped his current skating abilities.  Really, don't ask me how. But I wasn't arguing because usually Grace chooses him for most activities.  I was happy to be the one she wanted today.
After a short break for a snack Grace wanted to go back out on the ice.  I was trying not to support her too much but she wasn't ready for me to let go and her legs were too wobbly to just hold my hand.  The bad news - bending over hurt my lower back a little (no "getting old" comments, Mom!).  The good news -  it was also a good butt exercise!
In the end, Grace liked ice skating and I feel confident enough to take her back alone.  I was impressed with how great she did for the first time!

2 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Grace looks lke a "Skating Princess". Wait to one of two more times Mama and she will be holding you up. Can't wait to see the spinning.

Kellie said...

Way to go GRACE and mommy too! Before long you will be spinning just like Cinderella!