Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Ballet, buns, and bags

Ballet in the City is a local organization that brings professional dancers to cities and communities around the country.


Today, Grace and her friend, Annalise, had an opportunity to take an intermediate technique class with professional dancer, Dusty Button, who is a principal dancer at the Boston Ballet.


This is what Dusty Button looked like in the class today:


And this is what one of her publicity photos looks like:


Still strong and beautiful, but different from what we expected.  I think the girls were surprised that her hair was dyed black!  It reminds me of when my dad used to work security for a big jeweler in New York and he would accompany the jewelry to magazine photos shoots.  I remember him telling me that the models looked plain and ordinary when they arrived and that the makeup artists and hair stylists did amazing things to make them look like they do in those advertisements.


Grace and Annalise were very excited to take a class from a professional ballerina. When we arrived at Kent State Grace said, "Mom, this must be the place. I see a lot of buns and dance bags!"


She went right in, grabbed her stretch band, and found a place down the hall with many other girls she didn't know. My child is getting comfortable in a world that is completely foreign to me. I am proud of her for finding her way and pursuing something she loves.


I love that kid and her smile!

No comments: