Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Bicycle built for two

I have a mountain bike.

I know those of you who know me are laughing right now. But, yes, I have actually been off the paved trail more than once on this bike. I'm not saying I was ever any good at trail riding, or even that I liked it, but that is what my bike is made to do.

Oh, how things change.Now, I have a bicycle built for two. On the recommendation from a magazine and N.L. the iBert Safe-T Seat became one of our new toys. I was so excited the day it came that I put it on my bike at night after Grace fell asleep and tested it out on the street in front of our house. I figured out right away that my gears were not working so the bike had to go into the shop for a week. That gave me some time to find a helmet for Grace...not an easy thing to do. They don't make many that small so I was lucky to find this one. It is supposed to be for a 1-year old, but Grace is a little small for her age. So I added extra padding inside and have the straps as tight as they will go and it almost fits perfectly. I think Grace is figuring out that when she has a hat on we are going to do something fun. The sun hat usually means the pool (or the beach) and now the helmet means riding the bike. I am really not sure Grace likes the bike. I was hoping to hear giggles, but she is very quiet when we are riding and I can't see her face. Our neighbors were out the other day when we rode and they said she looked like she was having fun. I could tell she was more relaxed today - maybe due to the fact that I was more relaxed. It takes a little effort to get accustomed to having the seat in front of me. But I am happy with it because I feel like Grace is safer where I can see her and can keep my arms around her should we fall. Just like always, Grace watches everything as we ride so I have taken to narrating for her. (Look, Grace. Can you see the green trees? The sunlight is shining through the leaves onto the trail. Oh, there is a brown squirrel. I think he is looking for food. He just ran across the road...)

Our house is right on the other side of the lake from the Metro Parks Bike and Hike Trail. The trial goes for miles, all the way to Cleveland in one direction and probably just as far in the other. I have been pretty far north on this trail. When I was training for 1/2 marathons I ran at least 7 miles north and I have been at least three times that distance on the bike. I am pretty sure Grace and I won't be going that far together, but wherever we do go, I know it will be fun to share the experience with her!

3 comments:

cathybcareers said...

This seems like a great way to take a trip; the three of us to bike the trails in the South of France, but I need a three wheeler.
Nana

Phyllis said...

Hey Don't go without me~ Gee that looks like so much fun, and Grace sure has gotten used to wearing a hat. She actually looks comfortable in her helmet. What fun for the two of you.

Nancy said...

Hahahahaha to Nana...I laughed out loud! I'll make a deal..Lynn and Grace in the lead, Nana and Maya in Nana's three-wheel basket, and Nancy in the support V-A-N with wine and cheese. Hahahaha, still laughing at the sight of it!

I love narrating to Maya as she rides in her iBert seat. I'm short enough that my voice is at her ear level. She falls asleep after about a mile. Maybe she thinks the helmet has speakers or that Mami is boring! Either way, we always enjoy the ride!