Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, February 9, 2009

Potty Time

Could it be time for Grace to learn to use the toilet? Grace has a book where Elmo uses the potty. You press different buttons and Elmo talks about using the toilet, toilet paper, washing hands, and "big kid underwear". We haven't looked at this book too often because I thought she was too young to understand and she hasn't really shown much interest. But I did teach her the American Sign Language (ASL) sign for "potty" and I show it to her almost every time I change her diaper. I ask her, "Did you poop?" and "Did you go potty?" and show her the sign. We talk about Daisy going potty outside and she watches me in the bathroom (no, there is no privacy). Sometimes, Grace shows me the potty sign if I ask her but I am still not sure if she associates the sign with the action.

So, I was at the computer last night and she came over with the book. No big deal, she often brings me books she wants to look at together. Then she pushed the button that says, "Elmo is going to use the potty." And, then she pooped. If I had been smarter or more aware, I would have realized the kid was trying to tell me something. Maybe it is time to start training her?

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Grace this is really a growing up time for you. Potty training Mommy can be challenging, but she will get it, don't you worry