Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 7, 2010

When you least expect it

I had been trying to figure out what to do with Grace for our Forever Family Day. I wanted to make the day special and about being together without making it a party or too much like a birthday with balloons and presents. But I couldn't really figure out what I wanted to do. Then, when I least expected it, the answer came to me.

On Monday, my friend Margo brought me a surprise. It was my birthday, but she didn't share this gift with me for that occasion. Instead, she came across something that was special to her sons when they were little and when she found it in her house, she thought of Grace and me. It turns out, this was the perfect thing to share with Grace on the anniversary of her homecoming.

Margo gave me a signed copy of a children's book called Is this a House for Hermit Crab? by Megan McDonald. In the book, the hermit crab searches the seashore for a new shell that "fits just right". It is a cute story that is perfect to share with Grace - the little girl who is a perfect fit for me! Home for me, is wherever she is and I hope she feels the same way.

So, without really knowing it, Margo gave me the most wonderful gift to share with Grace on our special day. And, I think she started a tradition for me to find a special book to share with her each year on March 6th.

Grace took her new book out to the playhouse for "circle time"!

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Who's that movie star????? Could that be our Grace behind those sunglasses? Enjoy your book, my dear.

cathybcareers said...

The bow and sunglasses look great on Grace.
I love the polka dot vest too