Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Getting bigger

We have been having some pretty severe storms here. It has been the wettest April and May on record, but more than the rain, the storms have been bringing black skies in the middle of the day, strong winds, hail, and tornadoes that have gotten scary at times. Last night, I was at a work event and we needed to shelter all the guests in a lower level room without windows due to reports of a funnel cloud heading in our direction. I was scared. There is something about the unpredictability of tornadoes that makes me nervous like no other type of storm.

When I got home, Grace was in bed, but not asleep. So I went in to talk to her for a little while. She said that she was scared of the thunder and lightening because it was noisy. Totally understandable, but of course I reassured her that she was safe and there was nothing to be afraid of. I didn't believe it myself, so I am not sure I was very convincing.

The conversation turned to her doctor's appointment today and how the doctor was going to check her and make sure she was growing and that everything on her body was working fine. She told me that since she is getting bigger now, she probably would be able to:
  • ride the school bus,
  • take a shower by herself, and
  • fly on an airplane to see Nana and Ba without me.
Well, Big Girl, maybe someday....but not yet!
The doctor confirmed to day that she is 41 inches tall (75th percentile) and 36 pounds (also the 75th percentile).  At 42 inches you can ride the "big kid slides) at our pool so maybe this will be the summer she gets to do that. 

Four years old is a lot of fun....Grace has so much to say and a lot of it just cracks me up. I wish she could stay this age forever. She is just perfect.

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Oh Grace, you are getting so big...Aunt Phyl can't believe it. Yes, soon you will be able to fly to see Nana and Ba, and maybe Aunt Phyl, too. I would love that!