Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Clowning Around

Why are some people afraid of clowns? Maybe it is because parents teach their children to stay away from strangers and what could be more strange than an adult dressed up in funny clothes, outrageously colorful makeup, and enormous shoes? I have never had this issue, but I know plenty of adults and kids who do.

So, when we saw this clown at the Clarion Suites Hotel in Guatemala City, my first thought was, "What luck! That will make a great picture!" but in the back of my mind I was really wondering how Grace would react to her first clown. We had no idea why he was there (it was a First Communion celebration) but I quickly asked him in Spanish if he would take a picture with Grace. And, this was the one and only shot we took. I think it is pretty good.

Grace is a curious baby, but she also seems cautious. It is almost as if her mind is evaluating everything she sees. She is not sure what to make of some things, but she also doesn't hesitate to experience them. I wonder what she is thinking and what she will remember.

When I look at this it reminds me of a birthday party my parents had for me when I turned, I think, 3 years old. The circus theme party was held in my grandparents basement and (as always) my parents outdid themselves with real Barnum and Bailey posters, cool invitations, goodie bags, and games. I was wearing a navy blue and white sailor dress and had a white bow in my hair. At some point during the party my father left and a little while later a clown came to entertain the kids. I am told that when I looked at him I said, "You have the same color eyes as my Daddy." What you don't know is that my dad has these amazing light green eyes. I didn't know it was him inside the clown costume, but it is pretty cool that I made that connection!

No comments: