Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 6, 2008

"Gotcha Day"

Grace when we first got back to the hotel room after saying "goodbye".
First clothing change. She ate her Gerber's verduras y carne and we moved on to clothing change #2 (see below).


Look at me, Big Daddy! I can sit up like a big girl now!

Grace and Nana in the Guatemalan sunshine.

We left the Northeast's cold, blustery weather and arrived to 79 degrees and sunshine in Guatemala City. I got a lot of strange looks walking through the airports with an empty stroller and one woman stopped to ask me if I forgot the baby somewhere! Most people were very sweet and patient with me as I figured out how to manuver it, fold it, go through security, and gate check. But by the time we got to the Guatemala City airport I was a pro!


Today, March 6th, is our "Gotcha Day" - a new holiday in our family. Grace is so adorable. She doesn't seem like she has grown much but she is a different child from 3 months ago. She sits straight up on her own for 15 minutes (at least) and amuses herself with toys, the blanket, the carpet, and anything she can get her hands on. We can see she has more strength in her legs but she is not crawling or walking yet. Her foster mom says she likes the walker so that is something we will definitely use when we get home to help her continue to build her leg muscles. Grace likes the stoller and doesn't seem bothered by the harness. In fact, right now she is asleep in the stroller next to me, which is why I have time to write. I hope she is as agreeable with the car seat!


Another thing that is different is she is eating solid food. Grace eats three times per day, sometimes jarred food but mostly she eats what the family is eating, just mashed up. I was surprised and pleased to find out she likes plantains, mixed vegetables, noodles with cheese and tomato sauce, black beans, chicken and meat! The one thing she doesn't like is sweets! So far today, she has pushed her bottle away every time we have tried to give it to her. Part of that could be because she is off her schedule, so we will keep trying.


Grace's foster mom told me she was their "spoiled little girl" and she cried when we said goodbye. I am so grateful that they took good care of her and truly considered her a part of the family. They showed me pictures of her on their digital camera and filled up two disposable cameras for me to develop at home. Grace even went with the family on vacation to the beach, coming back to Guatemala City just a few days ago!

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

How utterly delightful she is. Oh Lynn, you are a lucky Mama and she is a lucky little darling. Have fun, you three!

Anonymous said...

She looks very happy. I am excited for you two.