Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 2, 2009

Seusscentennial plus 5

Today, March 2nd, we pay tribute to Dr. Seuss' 105th birthday. Born in 1904, Dr. Seuss (Theodore Seuss Geisel) is most commonly known for his children's books (he wrote over 60 of them). He was also the editor-in-chief of the college newspaper at Dartmouth and he drew more than 400 political cartoons in two years (during World War II) for a New York daily newspaper.

While not my favorite children's author, I do acknowledge that kids love his books and that he has helped beginning readers with his crazy, ryhming stories for several generations. And, even though I don't love his work, I am always up for watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas in December. Maybe it is because of all the "Hoos in Hooville". (My UVA friends will understand that connection....)

They started celebrating Dr. Seuss last Friday at Grace's daycare. When I picked her up the teachers told me she didn't eat much lunch. As this is unusual for her, I asked what they served. Eggs. That's strange, Grace likes eggs. Then I looked at her daily report which said they read Green Eggs and Ham. No wonder she didn't eat the eggs... they were green!

Today, The Cat in the Hat visited. Grace dressed in the theme in her red and white shirt from Venice. I bet "The Cat" felt very welcome when he saw her!

2 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Grace, Nana loves your shirt. I wonder what The Cat in the Hat thought when he saw you matching him.
Love Nana

Phyllis said...

Gee Grace, I don't think I would eat Green Eggs, either! I was with Nana when she got you that shirt
:-)