Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I scream, you scream, we all scream...

...for soccer?

Grace's soccer participation was better this week. I'm not sure if it was because she knew what to expect, OR because we were encouraging her during the car ride to the field, OR because she had a female coach, OR because we bribed her with ice cream (yeah, it was probably that one!).... but she participated right from the beginning. It was really great to sit on the grass and laugh as we watched Grace listen to the coach and play the little games Coach Cheryl used to teach skills (step on a bug to trap the ball and make it stop, walk like a penguin to use the inside of your foot to move the ball, etc.) Every few minutes, though, Grace ran over to us and asked if it was time for ice cream. Yeah, that cold, sugary, creamy ice cream sure is a motivator!

Toward the end, they had a "scrimmage" with kids from the purple group. That is what this 1 1/2 minute video is. The kids running from one net to the other trying to kick the ball. Grace was always on the outskirts or in the back of the pack - just too distracted to care much and not aggressive enough to take the ball away from someone else. After all, we are always telling her to share! It is hard to understand that in this game we want her to TAKE the ball away from someone!

The funniest part of this to me is how Grace pushes a little boy and SHE falls down!

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

Grace you are too funny...you have to STEAL the ball. I know, we usually don't take a ball away from someone, but in this game it is ok...You will get it, I can tell.

Kellie said...

I laughed out loud when I saw Grace push that boy and then fall down. It was hilarious. I think she fell down because the kid was too big to push over! Grace looked like she was getting the hang of it. We are anxiously awaiting next week's progress!

cathybcareers said...

The video really made us laugh too.
It must be really funny to see all the kids doing their own thing. Grace is getting it. Good Job. Ba said "can't wait until next week too"

The Riggs Family said...

Glad she is getting the hang of it. I started soccer when I was around Grace's age and cried because I didn't want to run. Needless to say, I ended up playing goalie for the next 9 years.