Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Just rollin' along this winter

As I got in my car to leave work on Monday, I looked out over a hilly field at our school.  In front of me at ransom spots were what looked like snowballs. They were different sizes, scattered about, with no apparent pattern.  There were no footprints any where near them.  I thought to myself, "We have Stonehenge at Wilcox."  It was weird like crop circles and unexplained UFO sightings. Little did I know at that point that they really are a weather phenomenon and they have a name - snow rollers!

These mysterious formations may look like something out of a Stephen King novel about the Arctic Circle, but actually they are a rare meteorological occurrence in which large snowballs are formed naturally as chunks of snow are blown around on the ground by wind.  You need the right conditions of a layer of hard snow and ice, covered by new snow, and then wind.  Check. Check. And check.  We have had all of that this week.  I guess that explains why we are seeing these snow rollers everywhere.
We have spent a lot of time inside these last several days.  One good thing about that is that we had the time to work on the dollhouse (pics of that someday when we are done) and to make two school projects - Grace's 100 day collection and her mailbox for the Valentine's Day party.
The 100 day necklace (for the 100th day of school) is made of Fruit Loops.  The yellow tags have numbers on them - 10, 20, 30, etc.  And the Valentine's box is an iPod.  We even had headphones plugged in and the back is decorated with heart stickers like an iPod case.  Thanks, Pinterest for the ideas!

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Love your silly smile...Let me see those missing teeth! Gee, Mommy really got me with those weird snow things. I have never seen anything like that, and I have seen A LOT... Now, about this Valentine party, hmmmmmm...will there be boys there????

Nana said...

Great Valentine Box! Is there a Valentine for Nana and Ba in there?