Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Celebrating spring

Coloring eggs with bright dye is an Easter and spring tradition.  When Grace was decorating her eggs last night she asked why we do this.



I answered that the eggs are a symbol of spring time and we add the bright colors like the colors of the flowers that will bloom soon.  I knew there was also a connection to Easter.


I looked it up and it turns out there are many different theories of why we dye eggs including pagan traditions and symbols of rebirth,  stories of Mary Magdalene using red dye to symbolize Jesus' blood, and King Edward I giving eggs covered in gold leaf as Easter gifts in the 13th century.


It was interesting to see how these "different" theories all had a connection to each other and that different cultures and religions adapted the tradition to their own needs and beliefs.


Grace's eggs turned out very pretty.  She did them on her own, although I was allowed to help a little with the glitter.

1 comment:

Nana said...

Nana almost missed this egg entry. I love the tradition and glad you have Nanny's crocheting out for the holiday. I have my Easter Bunnies in painted in 1971 on them one of the crocheting too.
Eat all those eggs now!