Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 12, 2009

It's un-American

I have to admit football is probably my least favorite sport. I just don't get all the hype. To me, it seems like a lot of standing around and waiting for a minute or two of action. Then more standing around and waiting. I am sure it is just because I am not a man and I have never played the game. I know there is a lot of strategy and planning plays involved. But, to sit there and watch a game - uhhh. I really prefer sports that are more active with fewer time-outs like hockey, soccer, and even basketball. But so many people really get into football that you can't help but caught up in the energy of people who are passionate about their sport or their favorite team.

To me, Friday night high school football has always been a somewhat unique thing about living in Ohio. I just don't remember that from my own high school days in New York. I remember going to games (heck, I dated a few football players!) but it wasn't anything like what goes on here. That could have been due to living in my own little world of Catholic school. All my friends went to smaller, private Catholic high schools so maybe the "football frezy" really was happening at the big, public high schools and I just missed it. Who knows?
But we live here now, and we need to support our local teams, so we took Grace to the high school game last night. Although she was tired from a week of getting up at 6:00AM, Grace loved the lights, the noise, the band, and all the action. There were so many people to watch!The home team was playing a pretty well-known area football powerhouse whose mascot is a tiger. They even came equipped with an 18-week old tiger in a cage! Grace kept pointing to where it was in front of the visitor stands saying "Baby tiger".The soccer team was selling inflatable cushions as a fundraiser for their new stadium. Grace had a great time standing on the table, stacking the cushions, and attracting customers who asked if she was for sale!We spent a lot of time watching and entertaining her and little time paying attention to the game.And, Grace found a comfortable seat on Kyle's shoulders!
Take me home now, Mom. I'm sleepy!

3 comments:

Arena Mom said...

I just love fall and football season! She looks adorable all ready to cheer on Stow!!!

Kellie said...

Cute Stow football shirt! I wonder why you didn't mention any comments about the tiger in your blog? LOL!

Phyllis said...

Grace, you may be growing up to be a cheer leader, LOL.