Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 8, 2010

I'm with the (Dream Jam) Band

This afternoon we attended the last of our Children's Theater Series performances. As featured on PBS Sprout, The Dream Jam Band delivered a vibrant and diverse musical performance of original songs for the whole family. They say their influences range from The Beatles to Mozart and from Duke Ellington to Woody Guthrie. But to me, they seemed like a "folksy", "rockabilly" cross between the B52's and The Talking Heads. (I just dated myself, didn't I?) The Dream Jam Band won four 2008 Children’s Music Web awards and their debut album was named to the National Public Radio Top 10 list of the Year’s Best Family and Children’s Albums.
It was no surprise that Grace enjoyed the musical performance. We don't usually watch PBS Sprout, so last night I Googled The Dream Jam Band so she could become familiar with them through the music and videos they have online. Grace had been playing on the other side of the room but when she heard the music, she came right over to investigate. On the ride up to Cleveland today she kept saying, "We going to see Dream Bam Bam" (cute!). She told me about the guitars when the band started to play and then I explained what a harp is before Erin in Red played it.
The best part about the show was the "kiddie mosh pit" up in front of the first row of seats. After about the third song, the band invited everyone to come to the front to dance. We went, but I thought it was only for that one song. But, many kids and their parents stayed in the front dancing for the entire show. So, we went back two more times! And, the best part of the day was hanging out with our friends Kellie and Dawson. We didn't get any photos of the girls together this time, but Grace and Dawson played together and shared their hamburger, fruit, and toys at lunch.

1 comment:

cathybcareers said...

Grace is doing great posing these days. Is Mommy offering her surprises for poses? Grace looks like a Groupee in the first shot. I am so jealous, I wish I was there.
Love Nana