Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Little Miss Muffet

Grace's class has been learning about spiders this week at school. They looked at photos of all different kinds of spiders in books and talked about how spiders are really helpful because they eat the other bugs. They have also been singing spider songs and reciting spider nursery rhymes. Today they tossed a ball of yarn to each other and all got tangled up in a spider's "web" they created!

Then, when they were out on the playground, they had a little visitor.And, Grace was brave enough to hold it!(One of her teachers took these photos and
the school director e-mailed them to me.
)

This is a big step from saying, "Ewww!" every time she sees a spider, which is often at our house. Since we live on a lake, there are tons of spiders and spider webs because they have an abundant food source right here.

Of course I want her to be cautious about handling any insects, but I am glad she is not "frightened" like Little Miss Muffet!

5 comments:

Arena Mom said...

Wow!! that is amazing! I am sad to say I accidently passed my fear on to Mayna so I doubt she would do this~! Grace is so brave!! Mayna did have an up close and personal exp with a spider though recentlyu....she has a huge bite on her back. Unless it is mosquito. Who knows.

cathybcareers said...

Ba was amazed how BIG that spider was! Funny to think it was right in the playground. He thought a zookeeper came with them for show and tell at school.
Grace didn't make a cheesy smile for the photo. I guess it was her big girl school pose.

Nancy said...

Maya would have run a mile by the time Grace scooped up that spider! She is NOT fond of bugs, at the moment. Grace is a budding scientist!

Kellie said...

So brave! We just had a spider encounter on the couch. I heard a loud scream and sure enough...there was a spider crawling towards Dawson. It looked just like the one Grace is holding! I love her fearless way of exploring life!

Phyllis said...

Grace you are so very brave. Aunt Phyl would NEVER hold a spider, NEVER... I am so glad that you had a friendly spider, because sometimes they do bite.