Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Totally Terrific Three

Today my Grace turns three.

Is is amazing that she has grown from this (3 days old)......to this (first birthday)....
...to this (second birthday).......to this!

We have a doctor's appointment in a few days, so I will have her "official" height and weight then, but from my estimates, she is about 37 inches tall and 31 pounds. Grace is a delightful child that makes me laugh every day with her silly expressions, funny faces, and crazy dancing. Grace is full of curiosity and wonder, often asking, "What that Mommy?" and "Why?" as she tries to make sense of the world around her. She amazes me with how quickly she will learn something she is interested in like Spanish words and the computer. But if she finds something too difficult or unpleasant she will just ignore me when I talk to her about it. We are trying to teach her that she shouldn't say, "I can't do it" and just keep trying until she succeeds. She likes to "practice her letters" and "do work" like Mommy, which really means taking a lined notebook and writing scribble that mimics writing on the pages. Grace is not too interested in drawing and coloring. She seems a little impatient when I try to get her to do these activities. Sometimes, though, she will tell me that she is drawing something and it is so interesting when I ask her about her artwork as she will tell me her scribbles are a lion, a rocket, a man, a bear, or some other thing that looks nothing like what is on the page. I eagerly anticipate the day that I see a recognizable image!

She loves to discover new things, will listen intently if you quietly talk to her and explain a new concept, and has varied interests that range from cars, trains, and bugs to dressing up like a ballerina or princess. She can kick a soccer ball and is starting to dribble it across the lawn. Music is still something that captures her attention. And, as someone who is not very musical, it is still a shock each time she hears an interesting musical piece and will stop whatever she is doing to turn her attention to the sound. Not many 3-year olds can recognize the music of Chris Botti and Miles Davis, but Grace does and will ask to listen to their CDs.

Grace can be a wonderfully, caring little girl. She carefully "babies" her dolls by changing their diapers, putting them to sleep, and kissing their "boo-boos". And, probably my favorite thing lately is when she stops everything and says, "I give Mommy a big hug". I always have time for a hug.

Happy Birthday, My Grace. You are the best part of my life and I love every minute I get to share with you!

6 comments:

Kellie said...

Beautiful post Lynn! One of my favorite things about Grace is her love of life. She is so happy and has a wonderful sense of adventure! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRACE!

Phyllis said...

My, how you have grown, my Grace...The only thing Aunt Phyllis regrets, is not seeing you more often. I am so grateful to your Mommy for this blog. It keeps me closer to you. Happy Birthday my Angel.

cathybcareers said...

Happy Birthday Grace! It's fun that Nana and Ba are in Ohio to share all the happenings. They are so many things going on. Nana and Ba got to meet you friends and their Mommy's, we sung alot of times you Birthday song and today we saw you drive your first car. Mommy did a good job planning the party and everyone had good tumbling fun.
We love you alot Nana and Ba

Aunt Nancy said...

Happy Birthday Grace! We hope you had fun at your tumbling party and were sorry we missed it.
We love you,
Aunt Nancy & Uncle Chris

Aunt Jill said...

Happy Birthday, Grace! Can't believe that you are 3! I hope you have a wonderful birthday and we can't wait to see you in September. I like Chris Botti, too! Hugs and Kisses to you! Aunt Jill

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday Grace! You are a wonderful person and you have a wonderful Mommy! Best wishes from Maya and Nancy