Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I know it is too soon for this

Just about everyone in our area is back to school now. Today, when I dropped Grace off at daycare, they had decorated the office and reception area with garlands of yellow and orange leaves. I know....the calendar says it is still August and Labor Day hasn't come yet. But the high school teams are already competing in fall sports like soccer and football and the nights have a little crispness in the air that makes it hard to deny that the cooler temperatures and autumn are just around the corner.Last Sunday, Kyle and I took Grace and Daisy to - as he pointed out - "the only national park in Ohio" for a walk in the woods and to climb rocks. We have been to this park before with Grace but she did really well this time, walking most of it alone and only asking to be picked up a couple of times. (I wish I can do that when I get tired of walking!)Anyway, during one of her requests to be carried, I tried to distract her by looking at leaves on the ground. I pointed out the different colors and shapes and then got this brainstorm that it would be a great way to keep her walking (which didn't work) and to fit in a little learning. I ended up taking a bunch of leaves home that day and we finally got to examine them, categorize them, and eventually glue them on a drawing of a tree. Next time maybe we will go to the library to look at books to identify the names of the trees, label the leaves, and get some letter practice in. I am sure there will more opportunities once the fall really gets here!

2 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Wow! Fall coming already in Ohio. Today I went to Mall and everywhere here in Florida, there is already Fall clothes. It does get cold here too! Nana and Bas love the artwork and you look so pretty in your French Shirt.

Phyllis said...

What a creataive Mommy you have Grace. You made a beautiful tree.