Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

On the shelf...or in the basement?

Last year, Grace did not like our Elf on the Shelf, Christopher Pop-in-Kins. I think the whole idea of one of Santa's elves sneaking around, watching her, and reporting back to Santa was just a little too freaky. Plus, she wasn't allowed to touch him or he would lose his magic. This year, we are doing things a little differently. He is a bit more naughty and some nights will do something "bad" like pull all the toilet paper off the roll, make snow angels in flour spread on the counter, and have a snowball fight with her doll using mini marshmallows. Grace can touch him, play with him, and move him around. The only rule is that he is on the steps at night "so he can get back to the North Pole to check in with Santa". Really, it is just so I don't have to hunt for him when she goes to bed! I think the whole thing is teaching her some good lessons. One morning she told me she was going to tell Santa that Chris did something naughty but when I reminded her that would be tattling and asked if she wanted Chris to tell Santa on her, she changed her mind!

So, when a reporter for the Cleveland Plain Dealer came to read the Elf on a Shelf story to her class and interviewed the kids, the whole concept was familiar to Grace. In this article (click to read it)she is quoted (near the end) along with some of her classmates. I have to laugh that they call her "a quiet girl with brown hair". She might be a little quiet at school, but she is NOT quiet at home!

Overall, I think Grace is a little skeptical of the elf. She asked me if he lives in the North Pole. Instead of answering her, I said, "is that where you think he lives?" She said, "I think maybe he lives in our basement." That stinker must have seen him in one of the boxes down there with the Christmas decorations!

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Tell Mommy that you are no fool...You are too smart, LOL. I love that you are famous in a newspaper.