Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, December 14, 2009

Mean girls

I love that Grace is able to tell me things. She clearly and regularly expresses what she wants and doesn't want. If you catch her when she is in the mood, she will talk and talk. But the best part about all this talking is that she can tell me what goes on at school. Sometimes I ask her about her classmates at school or what they did that day. Well, for the last week, she has been telling me about one little girl that is not very nice. When I ask her if this girl is her friend she replies, "No Mommy. Maddie not nice." And I ask her why or what Maddie does she says, "Maddie pushing" with this disgusted look on her little face. This makes me so upset. How can anyone be mean to my sweet little angel? But the reality is, kids can be mean to each other and this (unfortunately) won't be the last time she encounters other kids who are bullies. You can bet I talked to the teachers, who denied seeing any pushing going on. But then last Friday Grace got bitten and when I asked her who did it she told me without hesitation, "Maddie!". Uhhhh! I told her (and will keep telling her) that if anyone is mean to her at school she should move away and go play with another friend. When we had this little talk she listened so closely as if she was really in need of a strategy to help in this situation. I wish I could be with her all day to guide her, but some of these things are social experiences she is going to have to work out on her own. But, really, she is 2 1/2. I never imagined it would start this early!

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Oh Grace, how can someone be mean to you? How naughty they are. Mommy is right, move away from the meanies, and find a nice friend.

cathybcareers said...

It's funny to hear about the "meanies" but I agree the must is to move away.
Love Nana