Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 30, 2009

City Mouse, Country Mouse

I have lived in Ohio for 17 years. And, I really don't consider the part of Ohio where we live as "country" although it is certainly more like the country compared to where I grew up. When I first moved out here I used to tease my friends about being farmers, but in reality, I know few people who raise farm animals and other than their vegetable gardens, they don't tend any crops. Sure, there are working farms nearby, but I am glad for them so we can get fresh berries, corn, pumpkins, etc. in season. About the only person I know who is really into raising animals is Miss Jessie - one of the teachers at Grace's daycare and our babysitter. Jessie has been very involved in 4 H (up until tonight when I Googled "4H" I had no idea what the 4 H's stood for - Head, Heart, Hands, and Health). She invited us to the county fair so this evening, Grace and I visited her there to see what it was all about. We walked right past all the stereotypical fair stuff and headed to where Miss Jessie was - with the animals. She was so sweet and gave us a tour through several different barns. Grace had the opportunity to hold baby chicks, baby ducks, a rooster, and a rabbit. She also pet an award-winning goat, Lucky, who is being raised as a pack goat, meaning he carries heavy packs for his owner. But, by far, Grace loved the horses. She was so overwhelmed with excitement every time we got near one that she almost cried out to touch them. The owners were so nice to us, allowing Grace to pet and feed some of them. Even the mounted sheriff was sweet and allowed us to touch his horse and he gave Grace a stick-on badge. On our way out, we stopped to watch a group of teenage girls exercising their horses in a large fenced area. Grace was in heaven....All the way to the car, Grace kept saying, "Thank you, Jessie." Over and over...

3 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Grace' I remember reading Country Mouse to Cousin Connor when he was your age. Howell, New Jersey is just like Hudson, Ohio. Connor and Ryan have horses right across the street all the time.
Love Nana

Phyllis said...

Gee, Grace, you sure have come a long way since your first horse ride! I am so proud of you.

Nancy said...

Maya would just love to be a playmate for this excursion!