Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Let's give this a try....

This morning Grace and I went shopping for some big girl panties. For a few weeks now she has been showing awareness of her body functions by telling me "Mommy, potty" and "Mommy, poop". We bought a potty chair and a potty seat several weeks ago and lately Grace has been sitting on the potty chair reading her books - but so far she hasn't "gone" in the potty at all. Too bad, too. It plays music when something is in there, if you get my drift.

Well, as of today she is now the proud owner of 12 pairs of big girl underwear - Dora, the Little Mermaid, and some pretty florals. After nap today, instead of putting a clean diaper on her we looked at the big girl panties, talked about not making Dora wet or dirty and put them on her. I set the kitchen timer for 30 minutes with the intention of putting her on the potty every time it went off. But, as is so often the case, Grace had other plans. Thrilled the the novelty of new underwear, she told me "Mommy, potty" every few minutes so we went to the potty. We sat. We waited. We read stories. We sang potty songs (I made these up...I don't know any real songs with that subject). We talked about Dora....The conversation went something like this:

Me: Do we pee pee on Dora?
Grace: No.
Me: Do we poopy on Dora?
Grace: No.
Me: What happens if you need to pee pee or poop?
Grace: Mommy, potty!Good....she understands. We did this over and over for about an hour and I kept a close eye on her looking for signs of something about to happen. Then, all of a sudden I heard "Uh oh mess" and yes, she peed on the carpet! So I said that was okay and we went right upstairs to change...into another new pair of Dora underwear. Feeling a little confident that she wasn't going to pee again any time soon, I decided to snap these pictures. And wouldn't you know it, about two seconds after this shot.......she said, "I poop!" Ah, yes. She pooped on Dora. Didn't we just talk about this?

Two hours, two pairs of new underwear....not bad, I guess. At least she is aware of what happened. Baby steps, right?

6 comments:

Kellie said...

I am laughing so hard right now OUT LOUD! I can't wait until we get to start this process too! Grace, you are tooo funny!

Arena Mom said...

Haha! Oh yes. The joys of potty training! We have about 20 pairs of undies and I also bought about 7 cheap outfits for training this summer that I didn't care about ruining. Have we worn them yet?? No!! For awhile she was on a roll (4 - 5 times a day on potty) but now...nothing!! Ugh.

Her little tan lines are soooo cute!!!

cathybcareers said...

Grace;Ba likes your big girl panties. Me too.
Love Nana

Aunt Nancy said...

I'm sorry Lynn, but I cannot stop laughing!!! She is so smart, I am sure she will catch on quickly. Love A. Nancy

Nancy said...

I'm laughing so hard I'm about to pee MY pants and I don't have Dora as a back up!

Grace, you can meet me in the Depends aisle at the supermarket!

Too funny!

Phyllis said...

Grace and Lynn, I laughed until I cried...Uncle Mickey was laughing right along with me as I read your story out loud. Potty training ain't what it's cut out to be!