Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, August 28, 2009

10 Funny Phrases

Have I told you lately how much I love this kid?

Are you this bright-eyed at 6 AM?
Lately, Grace has been talking so much it makes my head spin (in the shocked, "Where did she learn that?" kind of way not the Linda Blair in the "Omen" way.) So, in an effort not to forget some of the cute, funny, surprising things that come out of Grace's mouth I have recorded them here:

1) "Mmmm, nummy." (yummy) -when she tastes something especially good like pizza, ice cream, and popcorn - her latest favorite.

2) "Na, knock. Who's der?" - Grace will just go up to any random door and knock. Mostly she does this just to herself but if I am around she looks over her shoulder like I should tell her who is there. You know I play along.

3) "Twinkle, twinkle...staaar." - Grace's version of the "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" song which I hear her singing in the backseat. She misses the word "little", though. Sometimes she will take her keyboard off the shelf and touch some keys as she sings. Seriously, the first time I witnessed this my head really DID spin around!

4) "Dat way" - My little backseat driver has taken to giving me directions when we are in the car. As we approach an intersection she says, "Dat way" and points. Of course she has no idea which way to go, but she absolutely recognizes places we go often. We passed the street for the pool a couple of weeks ago and she knew that was where it is. And, every morning she points out where some geese congregate on the way to daycare even if they are not there that day.

5) "Oh man, Dora!" - Swiper the fox on the Dora the Explorer show says this when he doesn't succeed in taking Dora's stuff. Actually, Swiper says, "Oh man." Grace added the "Dora" part herself. It cracks me up when I hear her little voice saying "Oh man, Dora".

6) "I turn" - Grace is all about taking turns, especially hers! We were playing with her tea set one day and she told me I was supposed to eat my soup. As I did Grace watched and told me, "No Mommy. I turn". Apparently, we were not allowed to eat at the same time. So funny. I guess she must be learning to take turns at school because at home it is all about Grace!

7) "I see. I see" - I get this a TON from Grace. She wants to see everything especially when she might think she has a choice about something. Like a snack, for instance. When I ask her if she wants a snack she replies with, "I see. I see" which means I need to stand her on the counter so she can look into the cupboard to see what her choices might be. Then she responds with "a-da-mo" (see #10) when she chooses. I also hear, "I see. I see" when I am changing her diaper. Yes, there is a big fascination with this in our house right now. Usually, where there is poop in the diaper I hear #8 next.

8) "Ewwww..." - Yeah, I can't say I blame her. Some of those diapers are pretty nasty. Grace doesn't like having messy hands either. So if she gets dirty she will show the mess to me with a little, "Ewwww. Messy".

9) "Daisy-D" - Sometimes I call Daisy "D" so Grace has taken to calling her "Daisy-D". Not always, but I do hear saying things like, "Daisy-D, sit down." Very bossy. I wonder where she gets that?

10) "A-da-mo" (That one) - Often this phrase is said in an excited manner with the words strung together like "adamodamo" accompanied by a tiny finger pointing to something. It takes a moment to figure out what Grace is saying and sometimes I have to tell her to show me because I have not idea what she wants.

Have you noticed that Grace has trouble with the "th" sound? For now it is cute and I know someday soon we won't hear these funny little phrases anymore. I am enjoying her language development and marvel at how many new things she knows every day. It is so much fun watching a 2-year old discover the world around her. Can she just stay this age forever?

4 comments:

cathybcareers said...

This age is great; but so is 3-4-5 and others. Nothing wrong with the age you are at.
I am not telling.
Love Nana

Arena Mom said...

I wish my eyes look that bright, cheerful and happy at that hour! Normally, they are starved for caffien! She is so cute and funny!!

Phyllis said...

Grace...ADAMO...means I want you!

Aunt Jill said...

Umm, NO! I wish mine would have stayed that age forever. But, the truth is they grow up way too fast and then you wish they would be quiet and get off of the phone. Aunt Jill misses you both!