Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 2, 2009

The circus came to town!

Grace attended her first circus on Saturday, August 1st. The Kelly Miller Circus is a one tent circus that visited the town square of a neighboring community. This traveling circus has been in business since 1938 and can set up in any 300' X 300' space with access to water. The big top, imported from Italy, has a seating capacity of 1500 people and is 40 feet high. The show travels in a fleet of 25 vehicles and they allow their animals to do two performances per day. The whole experience made me think about "old time" America that I have seen in so many movies. It is hard to believe that there are people who still "run away to join the circus" (okay, maybe these performers didn't run away, but you know what I mean).

We got up early on Saturday morning, bought breakfast, and went to watch the circus employees raise the tent. They said the elephants did this task, but we watched for about an hour as dozens of workers used big machines to drive stakes into the ground, set up awnings for shelter for the animals, unfolded the tent, and set up the concession stands.I wandered around the outside of the main circle and found the trailer where the three elephants were waiting for their debut. It was really cool to see one put the end of his trunk up to the window to investigate what was outside.Someone said that as soon as the sun canopy was set up the elephants were going to come out so I went back to get Grace and Kyle. A few minutes later, they slowly came out, enjoyed a breakfast of fresh grass, and got a shower from their handlers. Grace seemed to like the elephants but not nearly as much as the horses! After so many experiences where she has been able to touch animals, we had to explain to her that today she could only look.
Later Saturday evening we returned to the event site for the actual show. We met Dawson and her family there to see the performance together. This tented circus is currently run by John Ringling North of "the Ringling Brothers Greatest Show on Earth" family. From the moment the ring leader says, "Ladies and Gentlemen, children of all ages...." it was a non-stop performance of action, lights, music, an exotic display of animals, and acrobatic feats in the air. The show lasted about 2 hours with one 20 minute intermission.

Kelly took this beautiful photo of Grace.
I love the warm colors and how her cheeks are a little rosy.


Grace liked these inflatable toys, especially Dora and the monkey, but somehow we were able to distract her and not have to come home with one.Kyle put Grace on the pony ride which was well worth it to see how excited she was to be on her very own horse.He also took Grace to see the "giant" snake. He told me it was sleeping and you couldn't really tell what it was! We had a fun time, but I need to say one thing....I felt really bad for the tigers and elephants. Those animals are just not meant to be in small enclosures and performing for crowds of on onlookers. I know the circus people said all the animals in the show are part of their "family" and their website talks about how well the animals are treated. I don't doubt that, but, still, it is unnatural. I want Grace to be exposed to so many things so I don't regret attending but it would be unfair to write this blog without expressing how I feel about these enormous, beautiful animals who never have the chance to run or roam free. I much preferred seeing the human performances. At least the people in the circus have a choice.

4 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Wow!! What a great picture Kelli took of Grace. I think this should be my new mousepad.
The circus looked like fun. As Kelli always says "another great summer night".
Love Nana

Kellie said...

Oh Grace! You look like a natural on that pony. You must ask Big Daddy for a pony!!!! Grandpa's can NEVER so NO! I really like the early morning pictures. I agree with you Lynn, the elephants and tigers seem unhappy! Other than that, we loved our first night at the circus and our company too!

Arena Mom said...

I agree...that picture of Grace is great!! Looks like you all had a good time and I enjoyed looking at the pictures. I too would have hated to see the animals looking sad though.

Casey McCoy Cainan said...

They "do" run free in large acreage Oct. through Feb. What makes a tiger that was born and bred in captivity being in a cage any less acceptable then the photos below with fowl in cages roughly 30% bigger then their body size? I am a strong advocate of animal welfare, but what you don't like about the animals at the circus has nothing to do with welfare, your feelings come from putting human thoughts and emotions on the animals. Just because a human "wants" a tiger to have lots of space to run and play certainly doesn't mean the tiger will. I know to be fact that if the animal is not in need of food, water, or a mate, it will lay and sleep contently for 16 hours a day.
These tigers don't understand the concept of freedom, because they have been raised here with me. And I can assure you, my tigers athletes in perfect health. Very contented with their lives.