Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tower building

I wonder what happened at daycare today. When Grace got home she was unusually interested in building towers. She got out some soft blocks that she rarely plays with and built herself a tower, knocked it down, and then built it again. She also played with her giant Legos (another toy that she has shown little interest in since we got them months ago) to build houses. (I know because she kept saying, "Mommy, house".) Then at dinner we did a puzzle together before I took out one of our Discovery Toys. Grace received this "giant pegboard" and two other learning toys from Discovery from Aunt Jill for her birthday. We played with them once or twice, but never like I witnessed tonight. She was so determined and engaged.

The pegboard comes with 25 colored pegs in different shapes such as circles, squares, hexagons, stars, etc. There are multiple activities you can do with this pegboard (counting, sorting, grouping, matching, categorizing). My original plan was just to have Grace group the pegs by color, but she only wanted to stack them. I know I am supposed to let her lead the activity based on her interest and developmental level and today, all she wanted to do was build. So I ditched MY plan and let her continue with hers.
Just look at how happy and proud she was.
She even stopped for a second to say, "cheese" and smile for me so I could take a couple of photos.

3 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Grace; Nana and Ba loved your plan to just build and build. Great job. Ba was very impressed. Me too.
Love Nana
PS: Super shots Mommy

Kellie said...

Very impressive building Grace!

Aunt Jill said...

Yeah for Grace! I'm so glad that you are enjoying your Giant Pegboard. I have a huge smile on my face just from your pictures. Keep up the building and tell Mommy that you will sort those pegs when you are good and ready! I love you!

Aunt Jill