Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

I know it is only August, but one of the pleasures of having a child in the house is discovering all the wonderful things there are out there to help her learn and grow. So, I have started to "shop" for Christmas...or at least do some research to make wise choices for her presents.

Anyone who knows me, understands that I am not a big believer in having a lot of "stuff". I prefer Grace to have fewer, well-chosen toys that will challenge her to think, move, pretend, and be creative. I also prefer things that require some interaction. There are many times that she watches TV or plays on her own, but I really believe that, while there is value in those things, there should also be time every day when we play together. So, I have been purposefully, deciding on a few things that I think she will love for Christmas. A couple of things have already been purchased and put away -

LeapFrog Tag Junior
American Girl doll
....but the reason for this post is to share a discovery I made tonight.

This morning Grace and I stopped at Target for a boggie/kick board to use at the pool today. Being late in the summer, they didn't have any, but an Eric Carle board game called "From Head to Toe" caught my eye. Most of the games I have seen are intended for ages 3 and up, as was this one. The box gave little indication about how to play the game, but from what it did say I figured it was something Grace could handle with some guidance from me....but then I wasn't sure so I put it back on the shelf. It got me to thinking about the board games I remember playing as a child and the classics Candyland and Chutes and Ladders immediately came to mind. But, are those still the best for a toddler her age? Surely there has to be something new out there....

So I searched the internet for "toddler board games" which revealed some reviews about games to play with the 2+ crowd. The best site I found and now have bookmarked was www.thingamababy.com. It is written by a dad who reviews all kinds of things. I spent a lot of time looking at his reviews of toys (he has daughter almost 5 now but who was 2-3 when he reviewed these games. She seems very bright based on the skills he describes). I figured if she is doing this well from the toys he has chosen for her maybe I should seriously consider some of them for Grace.

I concentrated on board games that were simple and focused on one or two skills and came up with the following:

Snail's Pace Race by RavensburgerThis one I am buying now. I had never heard of this Ravensburger company before, but they seem to produce many quality toys and puzzles for children and adults. "Thingamadaddy" says Snail's Pace Race should be the very first board game for a toddler since it deals with colors, involves cooperative play instead of competitive, is quick (an important feature for short attention spans), and it uses dice instead of cards which are difficult for little hands to pick up (hmmm....I hadn't thought of that). You can read the entire review here.

I am also considering Bingo Bears by Learning Resources (sold on Amazon.com for around $22).I like this one for the cute bear game pieces that come in different colors and sizes. You can practice small, medium, and large as well as colors and counting. The game never gets old since you can change the big red bear game boards by inserting different cards in the 9 slots. Cool. Read more about it here. "Thingamadaddy" also recommends another Ravensburger product called 4 First Games (sold on Amazon.com for around $22). Basically, it is a box of two boards, each with a different game surface printed on both sides (the photo above shows all four sides). The game pieces allow you to play four different games - Bird's Nest, King of the Castle, Garden Party, and Sizzling Sausages. Again, the games practice patience, taking turns, color/number/item recognition, fine motor skills, etc. That's a lot in one box and sounds like it would be something to grow into and use for a long time. One of the things I especially like about "Thingamadaddy's" reviews is that in addition to explaining the instructions for each game he includes his own adaptations that have worked for him and his daughter (and her younger friend). I know I will go back and read those suggestions again if we get these games.

The last board game on our list is called The Picnic Game (also available on Amazon.com for $16). You set up a red and white tablecloth, everyone gets a plate, and you spin to fill your picnic plate with food. The reviews warn that landing on the ants is a BAD thing in this game. Grace has recently become fascinated with insects and we have been teaching her to look at and not touch them so I think she would get a kick out of the ants at her picnic!If any of you have played the Eric Carle From Head to Toe game, let me know your thoughts. We might want that one, too!

2 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Great ideas!! But no pictures of Grace in this Blog! Miss her
Love Nana

Arena Mom said...

Thank you thank yhou for doing this post!! I too, last week, was looking for board games for Mayna!! I also believe in "playing together". It is so important. I am def putting these on teh xmas list! Keep the ideas coming!!!