Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day 2010

Today in honor of Earth Day, Grace did many fun activities at her daycare. In fact, all month they have been learning about the earth starting with looking at pictures of the earth, holding globes, pointing to Ohio on the map, talking about how all the blue is water. (Aunt Susan gave Grace a huge ball that is a globe and she brought it to school the first week of April to share with her friends.) As the weeks progressed they learned about soil, plants, and recycling. The other night she saw some gum on the ground in a parking lot and told me that we shouldn't drop trash on the ground. We are supposed to put it in the garbage can. Have I mentioned that I love this school?

Each day I get a note home that looks like this one. Today, in addition to knowing what she ate for lunch (critical in planning dinner) I also found out that after reading a book called I Love Our Earth, when her teachers asked what she loved about our earth, Grace responded "I love beaches." That's my girl!When we got home we did our own Earth Day project...we planted cherry tomato seeds from a little kit I bought. It was perfect for little hands and she was able to plant the seeds all by herself.Grace was excited to use her Dora watering can... ...and even made sure to water our neighbors plants. I think when Mr. and Mrs. M. return from their winter home in Arizona they might have a little helper they didn't plan on!After taking care of the seedlings and the perennials we went around the front of the house to blow bubbles and check out Mommy's favorite flowers - daffodils! These spring flowers are for you, Aunt Phil! The sun was in her eyes, but she was a good sport and looked up at the camera when I asked.

3 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Looks like Spring is everywhere in Ohio. We Can't wait to get there next month. Love Nana and Ba.

Arena Mom said...

What a great idea to plant a tree! In normally remember, but totally forgot about Earth day today until we got to Whole Foods and of course it was everywhere!

Phyllis said...

Oh Grace and Lynn, thank you for my daffodils! You know how much Aunt Phyl loves the spring time when everything is born again.