Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy Birthday, America (and Dad!)

International travel makes you more aware (and appreciative) of your home country. I have always loved visiting different countries and learning bits and pieces of other languages and cultures, but it is also nice to come home. Our county has a lot of problems but overall it is a pretty great place to live. And, even though I have lived other places (Spain and Japan) and will live at least one other place in my life (Italy), I could never imagine being a citizen of another country. Holding my passport along with Grace's as we traveled last week was pretty significant for me. I am so glad that one of the things I was able to give her in the last three years is United States citizenship.Just because I like to look back and see how much Grace has grown, here she is last July 4th! After lighting some sparklers ourselves as soon as it got dark, we sat on the back deck well into the evening watching neighbors' fireworks and listening to Andrea Bocelli music playing inside. Grace calls it her "sleepytime music" because we have been playing it for her since she was tiny to relax her. Like Pavlov's dogs she associates this particular music with sleep. And most of the time, no matter how hard she tries, she can't resist and quickly falls asleep.

4 comments:

Arena Mom said...

what fun!! Do you have her US passport, or just GT? I still need to get a US one.

Phyllis said...

Grace, you look like such a big girl when I look at you one year ago.

cathybcareers said...

Great photos. Now I can see the new body language on Grace. "I am a big girl now" and "I can do it"
The terrible thirds! She has a great tan. The fireworks are amazing too.

cathybcareers said...

Not sure what happened to my first comments! Guess they are out in space somewhere! What I said is "Now I can see the Third Year Old Body Language" I love her hand on hip and the expressions of "why do I have to listen" Did you tell her Lynn "because I am the mother"?