Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Celebrating with ELMO - Part 1

Saturday is Grace's 2nd birthday! When I thought about the best way to celebrate her birthday the first thing that came to mind was to have a party. But I really wanted it to be a "kid" party and not an adult get-together with some kids. So, then I considered who we might invite that was Grace's age....hmmm. Really, that meant Dawson, (and now) Mayna, and Grace's "friends" from school. So, I figured the best thing to do was to just have the celebration at daycare on Friday afternoon since most of the kids she knows are there already. Her teachers were cooperative, allowing us to take over snack time with Elmo cupcakes and goodie bags with "Dorothy" (goldfish) crackers, pretzels, and M&Ms. For those of you who don't know, Dorothy is Elmo's pet goldfish!
I did a lot of searching on the internet to see how other people made their Elmo cupcakes. For mine, I ended up using food coloring to dye the icing. I used a Wilton red food dye which came out really vibrant red. (I was pleased since some people on the internet said they had trouble getting their icing red enough.) Then I dipped the cupcakes in red sprinkles to create a "furry" look. Did you know it is really hard to find red sprinkles? My father went to 5 places in New York and I checked 3-4 here. I eventually just ordered them on the internet. The eyes are made from mini marshmallows with black gel icing in a tube for the pupil and the noses are soft orange "fruit" candies. Elmo's mouth is an Oreo cookie (from the 100 calorie packs) sliced in half.

The beginning - I baked 32 cupcakes.
Grace only has 9 children in her class.
But I'm Italian. We don't like to run out of food!
The production lineThe finished product.
They turned out pretty nice, don't you think?
You can just call me the Ace of Cakes if you want!

6 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Mommy did a great job on these
Cool cupcakes! I can't wait to hear how Grace reacted when she saw them. Have fun with the kids. Wish I was there. Love Nana

Arena Mom said...

Oh my gosh!! I am WAY impressed!! Those cupcakes look awesome!! I may have to commission you to do some for mayna next year!! We did an elmo theme for her bday too (she loves elmo!!). I am a bad mommy though and failed to celebrate it at her daycare. I still feel guilty for that one!!

Courtney said...

They turned out really really cute. We did an Elmo cupcake cake from Walmart that was cute but your cupcakes ROCK. Great Job.

Aunt Jill said...

Cutest cupcakes EVER! Grace, your mommy is so talented - you are so lucky. Happy Birthday Big Girl. I miss you! Love, Aunt Jill

The Riggs Family said...

Those cupcakes are adorable! Nice job!

Phyllis said...

Grace, your Mommy is soooooo talented. I am jealous that I didn't get a cupcake. Maybe next year.