Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Discovering and Uncovering - Challenge Day 6

What I love and have learned: Being a parent to an adopted child means you have to be ready to discover talents and traits.

Back in the "Nature vs. Nurture" post earlier this week, I commented on how nature has set the bar but it is nurture that will give Grace the opportunities to reach her full potential. An enriched life and environment will offer her every opportunity to explore her talents as she grows. I love the fact that I don't really have any expectations for what her talents might be and because of that she is free to just be herself. This also presents a challenge to me, because, not having any preconceived notions, I need to be aware of her signals and ready to capitalize on the hints I get from her.

One of these things is music. I am not musically inclined. At all. I don't play an instrument, I can't read music, and while I like to listen to music now and then, I am not one of those people with an iPod attached to my ear 24/7. But Grace really likes music. My mother noticed this when we first met her at 4 months old. And at 6 months old she sat on my dad's lap and tapped a pattern with him on the restaurant table. Even then, it was obvious how the sound of music - any music - captured her attention. I have no basis of comparison, so I don't know if she has a talent in this area, but I am going to continue to expose her to a variety of music, performances, and instruments as she grows up.

This week, we went to the public library for a fantastic music and story time. This has been going on all fall, but I just discovered it. The gentleman who led the class played songs on his guitar and read stories. But the best part was at the end when he allowed the children to come up and touch the guitar. Grace was fascinated. I watched her look at him and the guitar in awe and she touched it so gently. He handed her the guitar pick as he did to all the kids ahead of her (about 15 of them) but she preferred to touch the strings with her hand. So cool!The photos are not great (point-and-shoot camera and a pretty dark room) but I wanted to share them because they really demonstrate the wonder and discovery of this evening.

5 comments:

Kellie said...

I definitely think Grace has a talent for music. I've seen her singing, dancing and just loving music in all kinds of ways. I like the way she is checking out the guitar and showing interest in the man playing it. She's just so adorable!

Arena Mom said...

Isn't that great! What cool pictures that you captured!! I love watching their strengths and interests unfold!

Phyllis said...

Oh, Grace, do we have a prodigy on our hands? Wouldn't that be wonderful. They say that music can soothe the savage beast, so play on my dear...lot's of savages out there.

cathybcareers said...

Grace remembers songs too! I have singing songs to her since she was 4 months old and, even today, she can tell me the next words. Love it
Nana

Pineapple Princess said...

She is a doll!
I bet she will have a life-long love of music!