Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Nature vs. Nurture - Challenge Day 2

What I have learned: "Loving a child" means giving them the best of who you are. And providing a loving, nurturing environment can positively shape the person they grow up to be.

I always laugh inside when someone we don't know looks at Grace and me together and then says, "She looks just like you." Maybe it is our dark hair and brown eyes. Or maybe it is just that we laugh and play together so easily that it is obvious we were made to be together. But, in reality, we don't share any DNA, so the question is how much are we really "alike" and if we are similar, is that due to the environment in which Grace is growing up?I always wondered about the strength of "nature" and the influence of "nurture" in the development of a child. "Nurture" has historically been referred to as the care given to children by parents, but the definition of "nurture" really should be expanded to include the influences on development from extended family and peer experiences, the media and marketing, exposure to formal education, and socioeconomic status. With all those factors, shouldn't "nurture" have a greater role in the ultimate development of a child?

There have been countless twin and adoption studies done trying to determine whether "nature" or "nurture" has the greatest impact on human development. Some traits are definitely genetic - blood type, hair and eye color, certain diseases, and probably IQ, for example. But current thinking in biology discredits the notion that genes alone can determine the most complex attributes such as The Big 5 personality traits. In other words, genes set the bar but the way in which a person develops is largely affected by the environment in which she lives.

At least that is what I want to believe. I can't hep but wonder how tall Grace will be or if she will be right- or left-handed. But in the end, I know that those things are predetermined and I can't change or influence them. What I can do is help her learn and grow. I choose to provide her with a rich life full of love, patience, stability, and exposure to new experiences.

So, in our world, "nurture" wins out over "nature".

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

Grace, you are your Mommy...in so many ways. God sent you to her, and her to you...so, therefore, nature played a part.

cathybcareers said...

Finally, Nana gets to see the "Monka Shirt". I love it.
You guys are a great match!
I have a picture of Mommy (Lynn) and me on a Merry-Go-Round; just like this one.
Love
Nana

Arena Mom said...

Hi Lynn! I am so glad you posted this. It actually ties really nice to my day 3 post, so I will link to you in my text!! Isn't this fun!