Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Miraculously my own

Not flesh of my flesh
Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously
My own.
Never forget
For a single minute:
You didn't grow under my heart
But in it.

--Fleur Conkling Heyliger

Most of the time I forget that Grace was adopted. I know to most people that might seem strange. But I can't imagine a child I could love more or who could be a better "fit" for me. Having her in my life makes me truly believe in fate, destiny, and a "plan" for all of us. Everything in my life - especially my adult life - had to happen in precisely the way it did for Grace and me to find each other. Things that, at the time, were disappointing or were "mistakes" were exactly the events that HAD to happen so Grace and I would be in the right place at the right time to be paired with each other. I like to think that I am bringing something wonderful to her life but I absolutely know that since May 28, 2007, when I saw her for the first time, she has enriched my life in ways I never could have imagined. So, in honor of National Adoption Awareness Month (November) I want to link to my friend Aimee's blog. Aimee has taken on the challenge of posting every day for a month, hoping to bring awareness to adoption and to show people that our families are no different than families formed in more traditional ways. Please check it out.

And, if you have room in your heart and your home, consider giving a home to a child that otherwise may not have one.

3 comments:

Arena Mom said...

Hey!
We got Mayna's referral on May 11th of the same year :)

cathybcareers said...

Adoption is a Great Thing!! I was adopted! Look how happy I am.
Love Nan

Phyllis said...

Hey Uncle Mickey was adopted, too..took him a while but he got there..You are one lucky little girl