Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, November 13, 2009

Starfish - Challenge Day 5

What I have learned: Even the smallest gesture makes a difference to someone. And, if you don't do something, you are doing nothing.

As I was typing the Philanthropy post, I was reminded of "The Starfish Story".
The Starfish Story
One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking up something and gently throwing it in the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, "What are you doing?" The boy replied, "Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die." "Son", the man said, "Don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can't make a difference." After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it back into the ocean. He then looked at the man, smiled and said, "I made a difference for that one!"

I first heard this story as a new teacher about 15 years ago. I used to keep a starfish I purchased in a beach novelty store on my desk to remind me about making a difference in the life of just one child. Each year, there was always one student who naturally stood out as my "starfish". He or she was the one I kept an eye on and tried extra hard to connect with. The students never knew about being my starfish, but I hope they felt special the year they were in my class.

Grace is now my starfish.
Everything I do is focused on making a difference in her life. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 comments:

Arena Mom said...

I love that story and how you incorporated it into teaching! I am sure you have made a difference in so many kids lives!

cathybcareers said...

Great starfish story. Lynn is my starfish! I think I will select a person in my future (maybe a senior each month) and make that person my "secret" starfish. Love Mommy

Phyllis said...

Wonderful story...Aunt Phyl has a "starfish", and her name is Lynn. Can you imagine that?

Aunt Jill said...

What a lucky little girl Grace is. That was a great starfish story - I think I might buy a junky one too and keep it on my desk at school. When I think back, I've had a starfish every year, too!