Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mommy and me day

I love this blog. It gives me the opportunity to share Grace with all of you who are out there reading it, but, more importantly (not that I don't love you guys) it reminds me every time I post what a gift Grace really is. She is such a pleasure to be around and I am grateful for every minute we have together. Like today...we had a "mommy and me" morning - just the two of us hanging out together. I won't bother telling you where we went. I am pretty sure that will be obvious from the first couple of photos.

Once you look past the cutie in the front, there is a tortoise on the logs in the back.And lions in this photo.

I had planned this zoo visit and toddler class months ago when the zoo first announced their schedule for the spring. At the time I had no idea we would end up there last weekend, too! But it is a nice place and we would not get as close to the animals as we do during these visits. Today the topic was family groups in the animal world and we got to meet Decoy and Donald - who are brothers. Grace knows all about ducks since there are many in our lake. Kyle has been teaching her the word "mallard" but today she just kept saying "duck", "quack-quack" (with this funny shoulder move), and "bye ducks" at the end.She also fell in love with this snow leopard and held it most of the time we were in the classroom. I thought I was going to have to buy one at the gift shop, but, luckily, she got distracted, I put it back, and we managed to escape without purchasing another stuffed animal for the collection!
Grace enjoyed Miss Nancy, the EdZOOcator who does these classes. Miss Nancy even remembered us. I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise. We have been there several times now!One thing about just being on our own, we were able to wander a little in a part of the zoo I had never been to before. They call this area the zoo gardens and they are formal, planned gardens that remind me a little of the castle and manor gardens I have seen in Europe with paved and brick paths, arbors, fountains, and plants specifically chosen to attract certain butterflies and birds.Grace liked the fountains and this curved ramp area where she could run up one side and down the other. I took advantage of the sunshine, surroundings, and a distracted child to try out a newly-discovered feature on my camera - the "kids and pets" setting! These pictures aren't anywhere near as good as what I imagine I can get with a digital SLR camera, but they aren't bad (if I do say so myself!)We brought lunch home and played outside for a little while before nap time. It is funny how a dandelion, a stick, a chewed-up dog ball, or a tree can be enough to entertain a 2-year old. I just love watching her!My heart skipped a beat when she decided to climb on the rocks, but I really try not to force my own fears on Grace. I'm trying not to mess her up. The daughter of a friend at work is graduating this weekend, first in her high school class. She is going to college in the fall on a full scholarship and he was ready to celebrate at a party tomorrow - not the graduation as much as the fact that he didn't mess up!

3 comments:

Aunt Jill said...

Beautiful Grace. You just keep getting cuter and cuter. Tell your Mommy that she will eventually mess up - we all do - but that you won't hold it against her permanently!

Love you!
Aunt Jill

cathybcareers said...

Grace & Mommy; I think Mommy and me time is the best. Your Mommy and I had alot of fun on our days "just being girls". You look really cute in white pants and flowered tops. Enjoy the spring and summer; it's my favorite time. Love Nana

Phyllis said...

Oh Grace, you get prettier every day. All my friends love your pictures, they say you should be a model. I know that I loved my "mommy and me time" with my mother. You look like you love your time, too.