Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Oh, this is gonna be good!

The original title for this post was going to be, "In over my head!" because, thanks to the BTST, I came home from the camera store yesterday with a brand new Canon Rebel XS kit with an additional 75-300 mm lens, filters, a 1G memory card, DVD tutorial, and a backpack to carry it all in. I listed all the "extras" because that is part of the reason why I went to an old fashioned camera store instead of a chain or buying it on the internet. The guy there threw in some of the little things I needed (filters, memory card, DVD) and set up the date, time, strap, etc. for me AND showed me how to put on and take off the lens. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, but really it is. Plus, I also figured now I have someone to go to with any questions as I start experimenting with this amazing piece of equipment.

So last night after Grace went to bed I charged the battery and watched the DVD trying out many of the different modes and features of the camera. I took a lot of really bad pictures of Daisy, Grace's toys, the wall, and the plants. Today, I left work a little early and took some uninspired photos of flowers in my garden. This is the only one I dare to show you.Yeah, nothing to write home about.

But then I picked up my favorite subject from daycare. Let the games begin! I had the baby pool all ready so we went out on the deck for playtime and a photo shoot. I started out in full "auto mode" where the camera did everything for me.

Grace looks like she is saying, "Wait a minute" but she is really pointing to a helicopter. Daisy wanted to get in on the action.

I also played with the "sports setting" (another type of "auto") which they say is what I need for kids and pets. Since I have a 2-year old who only stops when she is asleep, I think I am going to get to know this mode well!

Wow! That water is cold!Don't you just love my swimsuit?

And, I tried out the "portrait mode". I was trying to get some close-ups of Grace with the blurred background like a "professional". Don't misunderstand. In theory I understand how to get the blurred background but I have no clue how to make it happen on the camera. Anything you see here is due to the camera's ability to focus on the subject. I can't take any credit.And, yes, Dad, I took MANY, MANY more pictures than I saved. That is a huge deal for me. I always wait for the best shot but I really should just keep snapping away and edit later. In the sports mode you can hold the button down and it will fire off 3 pictures per second. Grace thought this was pretty interesting and the noise of the camera clicking got her attention. Hmmmm. That's one way to get a toddler to look at the camera, I guess.

All these were done with the "auto" mode.
I have to admit, when I left the store yesterday I was really worried that I dropped a whole lot of money on something that I might not use. Then last night (and into the wee hours of the morning) I played with the camera and felt like I was taking the worst pictures ever! That made for more panic and no sleep.

Close up in "auto"
Close up in "sport"
Close up in "portrait"
Ahhhh, but today, all I can say is there is some hope and this is gonna be good! Stay tuned.

(One feature I really like on my point and shoot camera is that I can zoom, edit, and save right on the camera. This is not possible with the SLR camera. Too bad. It is a nice feature. But I guess I am about to get really picky about my photos. The next purchase looks like some editing software.)

7 comments:

cathybcareers said...

Good job Mommy! Spring and summer are the best time of the year to try this new toy. Enjoy. Can't wait until we use it with backrounds like Big Ben and Princess Castles.
Love Nana
PS: Love the outfit.

The Riggs Family said...

Hooray! You will love it!! Have fun playing around. There are tons of websites out there with pointers for taking great shots. Google The Pioneer Woman...she has a great section on getting started with a DSLR.

The Riggs Family said...

PS...Great shots so far!

Arena Mom said...

You can already tell how much clearer they are! I have heard the rebel is great! I am jealous of your filters too! I don't think I have any of those. It becomes adicting. Look forward to your blog taking on whole new meaning...a medium to share your photography!

Kellie said...

Keep on snapping those pictures! When I get home, we can go strawberry picking! What a great way to work on your photos...with of course the perfect model..GRACE!

Pineapple Princess said...

Yay! I'm a Canon girl, too!
Your shots are totally GREAT already! Maybe you didn't know it, but you have a great eye!

Phyllis said...

Grace, get used to having a camera in your face, LOL, looks like Mommy has a brand new toy! Aunt Phyl can't wait to see all the new photos of you.